With the base images applied – I got working on the details of the piece. It was nice to leave the relative tightness of the stencils behind and start filling in freehand. I was a little tentative at first – even though the Montana cans use a constant pressure technology and provide a range of nozzles it felt to me that the paint was shooting out of a gun – faster than applying oil paint with a brush at any rate.
I did get used to it and I even got to like the effect that miss-aimed sprays had on the paintings. Since I was using large areas of black paint in the graphic – the splatters and specs of color from nearby areas worked from my point of view.
I did have to paint the top as well – if you don’t feel like climbing the tree here is what you might miss.
I signed the piece using a stenciled signature – and applied the Public Art Sticker. I also cleaned the concrete base on the transformer.
I wrapped up by applying a clear-coat – this protects the pigments from UV light and slows the bleaching out process then I applied an anti-graffiti coat – done.